Termite Inspections & Control In Phoenix, AZ
Termites are one of the most destructive pests for homes and businesses. By the time you see a termite, there’s a colony at work destroying your foundation, structure and maybe even your furniture. For total termite extermination in Mesa or Phoenix, AZ, trust Green Home Termite & Pest Control.
Why Do You Need Termite Treatment in Phoenix, AZ?
In the Phoenix area, the soil surrounding new homes is treated to protect from termite infestation. Within three to five years, termite pretreatment wears off, leaving your property exposed. Homes of any age are at risk for termites, even new homes made from modern construction materials. While they are most associated with eating wood, termites can also tear through plastic, paper and drywall.
There are two primary species of termite in Arizona: the subterranean termite and the drywood termite. Drywood termites build their colonies inside of wood, avoiding contact with the soil. Subterranean termites are harder to spot because they nest underground. Our professionals are trained to located and identify termite colonies for rapid extermination.
It also helps to know your foe. Some facts about termites include:
- No sleep: Termites never rest. They steadily consume materials and build tunnels as they move through your property.
- Temporary wings: Termites shed their wings after swarming, leaving piles that signal their presence.
- Long life: Termites can live incredibly long lives, up to 20 years in some cases.
- Large colonies: Subterranean termite colonies can grow up to over a million insects.
- Significant damage: Termites cause an estimated five billion dollars in property damage every year.
Damage Caused by Termites
The damage caused by termites will continue to spread until treated. Termites can consume plaster, mortar joints and metal siding. Walls, floors and ceilings damaged by termites may appear to sag as they grow weaker and retain more moisture. Typical damage includes tunneling and chewed portions of wood.
We provide termite inspection, fumigation and extermination services in the Mesa, Scottsdale and Phoenix areas. We stand out from other companies with a particular focus on termite treatment that is safe for pets.
How Can You Control Termites?
The best way to control termites in the Phoenix area is with regular professional termite treatment. Termites are incredibly prevalent in Phoenix and across Arizona, outnumbering us by millions. They’re likely already on your property, and if the conditions are right, they will start chewing away at your home or business. Conditions promoting termite infestations include:
- Moisture: Wood with a moisture content above 20% is attractive to termites.
- Firewood: Firewood stacked in soil or too close to your home can lead to an infestation.
- Trees: Nearby dead trees and stumps create the perfect conditions for termite colonies.
- Leaks: Leaks in your roof, plumbing, windows and around your house encourage termites.
- Damage: Damaged gutters, siding and home foundations create entry points for moisture and termites.
- Wood-to-soil contact: Anywhere your home has wood in contact with soil is a potential hotspot for termite activity
Signs of a Termite Infestation
When the time is right, termites swarm from their nests to find mates and begin new colonies. Termites make it a point to stay out of sight, though, so it’s easy to miss the arrival of termites at your home. This means colonies can go undetected for some time — even months or years. By the time you notice the signs of a termite infestation, you’re probably facing a significant population.
Common signs of a termite infestation include the following.
For as small as they are, termites make a lot of noise. The loudest sound a termite creates is called headbanging — a technique for signaling danger to other colony members. When termites headbang, they are knocking their heads against wood or other surfaces producing what we hear as a soft clicking noise. Termites also generate noise while moving and eating, creating rustling, buzzing or rattling noises.
While subterranean termites use their droppings as support for their tunnels, drywood termites push theirs out the entrance. Drywood termites are common and a persistent nuisance in the Phoenix area. Piles of termite droppings — also known as termite frass — are a sure sign you have a colony nearby. Mounds of frass are identifiable by collections of dark powder and small black markings.
Termites are destructive. They’ll leave visible signs communicating their presence. If your wood sounds hollow or feels coarse, you may have termites. Termites will also leave visible tunnels and holes in their wake as they chew through your home and furniture. In severe infestations, you’ll see entire sections of wood disappear, as the largest colonies can consume up to pound of wood per day.
The most obvious sign you’re facing a termite infestation is to spot a termite with your own eyes. Drywood termite swarmers have red bodies with black wings, while subterranean termites have black bodies and white wings. Subterranean termites — the most destructive — can grow up to an inch in length. Drywood termites are smaller, with adults reaching sizes up to 3/8 inch. Miss the termite but spot their wings? Termite swarmers drop their wings shortly after landing, often in noticeable piles.
We Are Your Source for Termite Extermination in Phoenix
Termite extermination for your Phoenix area home or business begins with a complete inspection by a trained termite exterminator. We will identify the species of termite and the location of their colony. Our termite services include establishing a complete barrier around your foundation using liquid termite treatments. Termites track through the barrier, carrying the liquid to their colony where the effects spread.
Our services are guaranteed. If termites return during the warranty period, we’ll come back to your home or business for additional treatment at no extra cost. We also offer ongoing treatment services for proactive termite control. To find out how much residential or commercial treatment costs, get a free quote or call Green Home Termite & Pest Control at (480) 525-7378 today.
Termite Treatment FAQs
- Controlling water flow around your home: Most types of termites need moisture and will be drawn to areas with higher moisture levels. Even a rare Phoenix rainstorm can cause water to accumulate at and under your home’s foundation, so it’s important to ensure that the ground around your home slopes away from the structure. If you run water sprinklers with any frequency, avoid allowing the spray to reach the walls and foundation of your home, and be sure not to overwater.
- Using hardscaping: In dry climates such as ours, using hard landscape materials—such as paving and gravel—is a popular way to have an attractive landscape that doesn’t need much water or maintenance. This means termites will find less moisture and food sources in your yard.
- Maintaining an existing termite barrier: If the outside perimeter of your home has been treated with a liquid barrier, be sure to have it reapplied if you disturb it while replacing or changing your landscaping or remodeling your home.
- Keeping food sources away from your foundation: A stack of firewood leaning against a wall or a pile of mulch in contact with your foundation give termites an engraved invitation to set up housekeeping. Keep wood well away from your home, pull mulch back at least a few inches from walls, remove any plant material that’s decaying, and prune back tree and shrub branches to keep from giving termites a highway into your home.
- Seal access points: This is good advice for preventing all types of pest problems. Inspect your home a couple of times a year for openings around doors and windows, and points where cable or other utilities come into your home. Take time to seal even the smallest cracks and holes, and you’ll be well on your way to keeping pest populations down.
- A complete inspection of your property, inside and out.
- Location of colonies and nesting sites.
- Location of entry points into your home.
- Identification of the specific type of termites you have.
- Development of a customized treatment plan.
- Application of liquid termite treatments to establish a barrier around your home’s foundation.
Free Home Termite Inspection!
- No Obligation
- Call (480) 525-7378
What Our Customers Are Saying
We’re confident you’ll be completely satisfied with our service. We guarantee it.
“Green Home Pest Control is the company to use, they quickly took care of our ant problem and now our kids can play in the yard without getting bit. I highly recommend them over any other company in the valley–we used them all. Trusted owner, great customer service and priced right.”Scott O., Scottsdale, AZ
“Great service, very informative of the area and how to handle all pests that are located where I live. I am new to area and would highly recommend this company to anyone interested in pest control. Thanks guys for a wonderful experience.”Phillip T., Queen Creek, AZ
“I have had scorpions for years and every pest control company I used (4) could never fully get rid of the problem! This is why I have decided to get on here and post something about Green Home. They have been servicing my home now for 6 months and I have not seen one scorpion since they sprayed my home the first time. I will never leave them, and my tech is very thorough and explains things to me, which I like. Highly recommended!!!!!”Jim M., Phoenix, AZ
“Hi, I have been very satisfied with the service of Green Home Pest Control after changing to your company several months back after being with my previous company for 3 years. The Service Techs are very professional and attentive to my requests and very friendly. Thank you for the great service…I hate bugs!”Kathy B., Scottsdale, AZ