Facts About Scorpions | Arizona Pest Control Company
Scorpions may be one of the most terrifying pests in Arizona, but they are still fascinating in their own way. They are able to withstand as much radiation and heat as cockroaches. They have been around for hundreds of millions of years without many evolved changes. There are over 1,700 species of scorpions in the world, ranging from as small as a 1cm all the way to 9 inches depending on the species.
But there are also several important facts about scorpions that are relevant to pest control, particularly homeowners around Phoenix, Tempe, Gilbert, Chandler, Scottsdale, Mesa, Peoria, Glendale, and the surrounding areas. The following are some important scorpion facts that are relevant to those struggling with scorpions.
Pest Control Related Scorpion Facts
- Scorpions Live Between 3 to 15 Years – Some insects die right away when they are on your property. But scorpions are far hardier. They live for a long, long time, with an average of 6 years for pests like the Arizona Bark Scorpion. If you see one and it gets away, it will probably be there a long time.
- Scorpions Can Go 12 Months Without Food – Don’t think you can starve the scorpion out either. Their digestive systems are highly advanced. After one meal, they can live for 6 months to a year without needing to eat again.
- Scorpions Are More Active at Night – You may have scorpions living on your property and not even know it, unless you disturb their hiding spot. Scorpions are nocturnal, and only venture out at night to look for food or water.
- Scorpions Can Be Seen with Black Light – If you are curious if you have scorpions in your home, you can consider a black light. Scorpions glow in the dark because of a coating in their exoskeleton. If you want to find out if they are on or near your property, invest in a black light flashlight and you’ll often see them light up.
- Scorpions Love to Eat Crickets – If you have crickets on your property, chances are you have scorpions too. Crickets are the scorpion’s favorite meal. But if you don’t have crickets, you’re not in the clear. Scorpions can also eat almost any type of insect, and remember – they can survive for a year without any food at all.
- Scorpions Are Related to Spiders – Perhaps their relationship to spiders explains why they are equally as hated. But scorpions may be a bit worse. They are more enthusiastic about stinging than most spiders are, and they explore more than spiders do. They also eat each other, which is either scary or delightful depending on how you view it.
Scorpions are fascinating insects. But as you can see, there is a reason that so many people call for an Arizona pest control service. If you’re interested in learning more or need your scorpions prevented or eliminated, please call us at (480) 525-7378.
$50 OFF INITIAL SERVICE
Request a free online quote and receive $50 off your initial service while the trucks are in your area.